Sunday, July 13, 2008

Dissapointing Migas at Panchito's

With it's papel picado banners and tissue flowers it's like walking into Fiesta. With it's homemade tortillas and abundance of sweet tea it's like walking into heaven. Panchito's is a favorite of our family. Located right off McCullough where it meets Hildebrand is this busy bustling eatery. This is where we most frequently dine out of their locations. You can check out their other location on Zarzamora if that is closer to you.

Panchito's Mexican Restaurant
4100 McCullough Ave - (210) 821-5338

This morning I had another Migas taco, this time with no cheese (I can't bear American), and glorious ice cold sweet tea. This morning Panchito's was off their game. Normally their food is nothing less of splendid. The corn tortilla strips were too soggy and overall the taco was under seasoned. The size was less than impressive for the price. The salsa was even suffering, as it was heavy on the tomato flavor and missing bite. The texture was just not optimal. I had high hopes but this taco was a letdown. I'm glad that I requested no cheese. I am afraid that it would have pushed me over the edge and I would have put the taco straight into the trash. The saving grace was the tortilla. Soft, chewy, slightly stretchy and well toasted. They also serve free chips and salsa with lunch and dinner.

Their parking situation is fairly random.. In the mornings their lot is packed and there is only a couple of spaces, if that, and people are parking along the street. The rest of the day is a crapshoot. There are fewer vegetarian options than I would like, but what they do offer is delicious. Sometimes the service is a little slow, but usually it's very much worth the wait. I plan to give tham another shot and hope that someone called off work this morning..

For now I give them 1 1/2 out of 5 tacos.

No comments: